- Jackie Smith
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 4 cups (950 ml) milk
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). cornstarch
- dash salt
- 4 egg yolks,slightly beaten
- 1 cup (225 ml) coconut
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). cocoa powder, optional
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). butter
- 2 pre-baked pie crusts
- Mix in large sauce pan sugar, cornstarch and cocoa powder (if using).
- Add 3 cups (700 ml) milk, saving last cup of milk to the side with the egg yolks mixed in.
- Heat until boiling, let boil until thickens, stirring constantly.
- Mix last cup of milk with egg yolks and add to mixture on stove.
- Let boil for 1 minute and take off heat.
- Add butter and vanilla, mix well.
- Stir in coconut last.
- Place in baked pie crusts, and top with whipped topping or meringue.
- This makes a good pudding or pie filling for coconut, vanilla or chocolate and even makes a good banana pudding by substituting ingredients.
It is very rich and the richness may be cut down some by decreasing the sugar to 1 cup.