- Mexican Fried Bread
- Tampa Tribune, 11/4/99
- 4 cups (950 ml) flour
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml). salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). baking powder
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). sugar, plus additional for dusting
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). shortening
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) milk
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add just enough milk to make a soft, but firm, dough.
- Cover bowl and let stand for 30-60 minutes.
- Roll dough on lightly floured board to 1/4" thick.
- Cut into diamond-shaped pieces.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Add a few pieces of the dough at a time and fry until brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional sugar while still hot, or serve with butter and/or honey.