Serves/Makes:1 per person
- 1 artichoke per person
- chopped onion
- white wine
- melted butter or mayonnaise or Miracle Whip or mustard
- Rinse artichokes well and drain.
- No need to cut off points as they will soften with cooking.
- Place steamer inset or rack in bottom of large pot and add 2 to 3 inches of water.
- Place artichokes upright in pan.
- Sprinkle with chopped onion and add a half cup or so of dry white wine to the water in bottom of pan.
- Cover pot and steam on medium heat until leaves pull out easily by hand (or with tongs!).
- Be careful not to let the pot boil dry or you will have smoked artichokes.
- Traditionally you can dip the wide end of the leaves in melted butter and scrape off the pulp with your teeth.
- You may prefer to dip them in mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, mustard or a mustard/mayo mix.
- When the leaves are gone, scrape off the fuzzy stuff on the top of the heart.
- Trim the bottom of the stem.
- Dip the heart in your sauce of choice.
- May be served warm or chilled, as an appetizer or side dish.
- Center may be hollowed out from top and filled with a nice seafood salad.