Aunt Gertrude's Coconut Cream Pie
- Sissy Wommack
- 1 pre-baked pie shell
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup (175 ml) of sugar
- heaping 3 tbsp (45 ml) of plain flour
- dash of salt
- handful of coconut
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Put milk on and warm.
- Mix flour-sugar and salt together, and add to milk.
- Cook until almost thick, on Med. to Med. High.
- Separate the eggs and slightly beat the egg yolks.
- Add about 1/2 to 1 cup (225 ml) of the thickened milk mixture to the beaten egg yolks and beat it together.
- Then add the egg and milk mixture back to the remaining milk mixture and continue to cook until thick.
- Take off stove and add the coconut and the butter.
- Pour the mixture into the baked pie shell.
- Beat the 3 egg whites until they begin to get stiff then add 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cream of tarter.
- Add 6 tbsp (90 ml) of sugar, one at a time, to the egg whites.
- Continue to beat, add 1 tsp (5 ml) of vanilla and beat until stiff.
- Spread the beaten egg whites onto of the coconut cream mixture.
- Make sure you spread the whites to the edges of the cream until it touches the crust.
- Sprinkle a small amount of coconut on top of the egg whites (merangue).
- Put in oven on 350 and bake until brown.
- Spreading beaten egg whites all the way to the crust will help keep the merangue from shrinking and weeping.