- A Delicious Vegetarian Soup with Mushrooms and Barley
- Moosewood Cookbook
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) raw pearl barley
- 6-1/2 cups (1525 ml) stock or water
- 1/2 to 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 3 to 4 tbsp (60 ml). tamarai
- 3 to 4 tbsp (60 ml). dry sherry
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- heaping 1 cup (225 ml) chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the barley in 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) of the stock or water until tender in the soup kettle.
- Add the remaining stock or water, tamarai, and sherry.
- Saute the onions and garlic in butter.
- When the onions and garlic soften, add mushrooms and 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). salt.
- When all is tender, add to barley, being sure to include the liquid the vegetables expressed while cooking.
- Give it a generous grinding of black pepper and simmer 20 minutes, covered, over the lowest heat.
- Taste to correct seasoning.
- 1 1/4 hours to prepare