- Vanilla Custard Sauce to top Souffle
Serves/Makes:1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) vanille extract
- In a small, heavy bottomed saucepan, bring the milk and sugar to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Place the egg yolks in a bowl.
- While whisking, add the hot milk slowly.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and whisk rapidly over the heat for several seconds.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- The sauce should have thickened enough to lightly coat a spoon.
- If the sauce if too thin, return the pan to the heat and whisk several seconds more.
- This procedure should take less than 10 seconds.
- Strain the sauce into a bowl and flavor with the vanilla.
- Serve atop the souffle