French Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Extraordinary French Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Teri (from The French Farmhouse Cookbook)
Serves/Makes:4 to 6
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) lightly fruity white wine, such as Vin de Jura or Riesling
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 long slices Sourdough bread, cut in half crosswise
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mild vegetable oil
- 2 cups (475 ml) grated Gruyere or Comte cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley
- Whisk together the eggs, the wine, a generous amount salt, and a touch of pepper in a small bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish that's large enough to hold the bread slices in one layer. Place the bread slices in the dish and leave them there for several minutes so they become thoroughly soaked with the mixture, without falling apart.
- Turn the slices over, if necessary, so they evenly soak up the mixture.
- Heat the butter and oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 slices of the bread. Top each slice with one third of the grated cheese, and then with a slice of the remaining bread.
- Cook on one side until the bread is golden and the cheese is half melted, about 3 1/2 minutes (adjust the heat as needed so the bread turns a lovely gold color).
- Turn and cook the other side until the bread is golden and the cheese is fully melted, an additonal 3 1/2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince the parsely.
- Remove the sandwiches from the skillet and cut them crosswise into 1 inch wide strips. Arrange them on a warmed platter and sprinkle with the minced parsely.