Serves/Makes:allow 1/3 lb. per serving
- beef tenderloin
- salt pork or bacon
- Remove surplus fat and skin from fillet of beef.
- Lard it with narrow strips of salt pork or bacon.
- Fold over the ends of the fillet and secure with string or skewers.
- Season with salt (1/2 tsp (2 ml). of salt per lb.) and pepper.
- Dredge with flour.
- Salt and pepper again.
- Place on a rack in roasting pan in 500 degree (250 C.) oven.
- Place a piece of salt pork or bacon in the bottom of the pan.
- Bake the fillet for 20-30 minutes only, according to its size.
- A fillet of beef, prepared as directed, may also be roasted in a slow oven at 325 degrees (175 C.) for 20-25 minutes per pound.
- Do not cover or baste.