- William Bohannon
- 2 Cups (475 ml) water
- 1 Cup (225 ml) short grain rice
- Place rice in small pot and add water.
- Bring to a boil, do not stir.
- Cover at once and lower heat as much as possible.
- Place a weight on the lid.
- Let the rice steam this way for 15 min.
- Remove lid and fluff.
- It will be sticky and sweet.
- The reason rice is sticky is because they use short grain rice not Extra Long like we do.
It has more starch than ours also.
If you have a vegetable steaming contraption then look in the accompanying manual for rice directions.
Follow their directions but use the short grain rice for correct results.
Short grain rice is called Japanese rice, Sushi rice, and the Italian Arborio rice will also work.
Prepared sushi rice has been seasoned with sea weed kombu, bonito, and a touch of spicey vinegar.
It is fluffed and fanned dry or use a blow drier on low speed no heat while fluffing.
The rice gets sticky to the right consistency then quit.
Do not add salt or butter to Japanese sushi rice.
The spicey vinegar/Sushi rice dressing has a little salt in it.
No salt is also the main reason that sushi rice is sweeter.