Sheila's Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (475 ml) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) to 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil or melted shortening
- Beat eggs.
- Blend in buttermilk, soda, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- By hand, beat in flour and oil.
- Cook on griddle (which has been lightly greased or sprayed with cooking spray) on medium heat.
- When bubbles form on tops of pancakes turn over to cook other side, checking to make sure pancakes do not burn.
- If pancakes darken before bubbles form, turn down heat.
- Serve with butter and syrup or jelly or powdered sugar.
- My daughter loves to sprinkle these with chocolate chips as they cook, my son would rather sprinkle them with blueberries.
I think they are great just plain!