- 12 large oysters
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- seasoned bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- tarter or cocktail sauce
- Preheat deep fryer to 375 degrees (200 C.) (or pour about a half inch of cooking oil in a deep frying pan).
- Drain oysters (shucked, in jars are fine).
- Dry them between paper towells.
- Beat together egg and water.
- Dip oysters in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs.
- Dip in egg a second time and again in bread crumbs.
- Let dry for about 1/2 hour.
- Fry in deep fryer for about 4 minutes.
- If using frying pan, fry until first side is brown and then turn over to brown other side.
- Serve with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.