Beef and Cheese Tortilla Casserole
- Beef Enchiladas with a Twist
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) instant coffee powder (optional)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 4 8-oz. cans tomato sauce (or equivalent)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 3-oz. package cream cheese (or neufchatel)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 2 cups (475 ml) longhorn or other chedder cheese, grated
- 12 ripe olives, pitted and sliced
- Brown meat and onion in a large skillet.
- Add coffee, salt, chili powder, pepper and 2 cans of tomato sauce.
- Spread each tortilla with cream cheese (use it all).
- Place 1/4 cup (60 ml) meat on tortilla and fold.
- Prepare a 9 inch x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer folded tortillas in pan in two alternating rows with folded side exposed.
- Pour remaining meat mixture into spaces.
- Pour last 1 to 2 cans of sauce and 1/2 cup (125 ml) water over entire casserole (2 cans for a more moist casserole--tortillas will start to crack as they dry in the air so smother them with sauce quickly!).
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and sliced olives.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 25 minutes.
- This is a different version of beef enchiladas and better than many I've tasted. A lowfat version would be with ground turkey, neufchatel cheese, and low-fat cheese. We've been making and enjoying the same recipe since 1974. Boy, do I feel old!