Chicken, Zucchini and Brown Rice Salad
- A lovely and filling summery salad dish that is good even without the chicken!
- D. Lishus
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) of lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) olive oil
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml). chopped garlic
- 2 tsp (10 ml). dried tarragon
- 1 tsp (5 ml). dried oregano
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). ground mustard
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). honey
- salt and pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts, grilled or cooked your favorite way and shredded
- 3 cups (700 ml) cooked brown rice
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). chopped garlic
- 2 large zucchini, washed and sliced into 1/2 circles, about 1 inch thick
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) mung bean sprouts, washed (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chicken broth or veggie stock
- garnish: toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Whisk together the first seven ingredients very well, adding salt and pepper to taste, and chill or set aside while you assemble the salad.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and saute the garlic, red pepper, and onions for a few minutes, until soft.
- Add the zucchini and broth and continue to cook until the zucchini are almost done, but still crispy.
- Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked brown rice, the shredded chicken and the sauteed vegetables.
- Toss well with the reserved dressing and add the sprouts.
- This is a lactose-free recipe. Serve at room temperature with some nice bread and enjoy!