Cauliflower, Turnip & Squash Minestrone
- my own recipe by delclaude
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 medium turnip
- 5 to 6 carrots
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 large spanish onion
- 6 oz (168 grm). grated romano or parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). of spaghetti broken into 1" pieces, cooked and drained
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried basil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried oregano
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) celery seed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) rosemary
- 1 tsp (5 ml). thyme
- Sautee garlic in oil in large frying pan or medium soup pot, 1 to 2 minutes until golden, then remove and discard.
- Add peeled, diced turnip to oil and saute 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add peeled, diced carrots to turnips and saute 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add peeled and diced squash to mixture and saute 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add peeled and diced onion to mixture and saute 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add peeled and diced(large florets quartered) cauliflowers to pan,sprinkle herbs over vegetables,add cup of wine or water, cover and sautee 5 to 7 minutes, until vegetables are 2/3 done.
- While this is cooking, put 3 quarts (2850 ml) of water in large soup pot, heat, add tomato paste, stir until dissolved.
- Also in the meantime cook 1/2 lb (.2 kg). of spaghetti and drain.
- Add cooked vegetables and spaghetti to soup water, stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add grated cheese and serve.
- Vegetables stay firm with this way of cooking.
You can add 1 to 2 T. of butter while vegetables are sauteing.
Also, you can add 1 to 2 T. of basil to soup water while it is heating.