Shredded Beef Enchilada Meat
- Kate Ransdell
- Shredded beef:
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). lean beef roast
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) beef broth
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped onion
- 4 tsp (20 ml) oil, divided
- (Vance's Enchiladas - use word search)
- Trim roast of visible fat.
- Braise meat in 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil over high heat.
- In the pot with the meat, put chili powder, cumin, salt and beef broth.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 hours or until roast is tender.
- Skim fat from juice, but reserve the juice.
- Let cool enought to handle.
- Cut any excess fat from meat.
- Shred beef with a fork by pulling gently into small shreds.
- Saute onions with 1 tsp (5 ml) oil until soft.
- Add meat, cook until brown.
- Add enough reserved meat juice to make the mixture moist, not wet; mix well.
- Now, follow the instructions from this Online Cookbook for "Enchiladas - Vance's Enchiladas", replacing the chicken and it's preparation, with the beef, then make "Vance's Enchilada Sauce". (Word search "enchiladas" and you will find these two recipes.)
The enchiladas and sauce are a bit time consuming, but well worth it. It really tastes like the enchiladas in a fine Mexican restaurant -- but you must use this sauce - that's the key!
I make these to rave reviews for my annual Mexican Fiesta held on Cinco de Mayo.
The shredded beef can be used also in tacos, burritos, chili or chile rellenos.