Serves/Makes:18 or more
- Write your fun "Destinies" or strips of paper first.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) melted butter
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) all purpose flour, sifted
- Grease baking trays well and mark 3 inch circles.
- Place egg whites in bowl, whisk till turning frothy, and continue whisking whilst adding icing sugar and butter.
- Mix in flour with spatula or large spoon to make a smooth batter.
- Rest batter 15 minutes whilst you preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Place 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) batter onto each circle and spread with a small spatula to fill circle.
- Bake one tray at a time at 350 degrees (175 C.) until just slightly brown at the edges, about 5 -8 minutes.
- Working quickly, remove cookie from tray with a palette knife, place fortune in center, fold in half then dent long side over sharp object to get the traditional shape.
- Cool on racks.
- Note: I haven't tried this recipe yet though I keep meaning to. I got it from a recipe book which has proved pretty reliable so I hope they're OK. It is hard to describe the shaping process, but if you look at a bought one you'll see exactly what happens. There are diagrams in the book but it is no good on email! Have fun............