Oriental Lemon Chicken Stir-fry
- A healthy Chinese stir-fry recipe
- D. Lishus
- 1 lb (.5 kg). boneless,skinless chicken breast meat, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dry sherry
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp(heaping) fresh grated ginger root
- garlic powder
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 oz (112 grm). button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
- grated rind of 2 lemons
- couple of pinches of sugar
- fresh lemon slices for garnish
- Mix the chicken meat with the cornstarch until all is lightly coated (you may need a bit more).
- Season with garlic powder,salt and pepper.
- Mix chicken with sherry, green onion and ginger;add a pinch or two of sugar and toss well to combine.
- Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in wok or deep frying pan until oil is hot, med-high heat.
- Add the celery, mushrooms and pepper.
- Stir fry for one minute.
- Add chicken and marinade and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and lemon rind and cook another minute more.
- Pile onto large dish and serve, garnishing with lemon slices.
- Wonderful with steamed brown rice and steamed broccoli - yumm.