- 2 skinless, boneless chicken fillets
- 1/2 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grated strong cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) strong parmesan or romano cheese
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- melted butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) sesame seeds
- pinch paprika
- Flatten chicken fillets with a mallet until an even thickness.
- Spread each chicken fillet with 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) dijon mustard, then sprinkle each fillet with 1/4 of the finely chopped onion.
- Mix together the cheeses, then place 1/4 of mixture at the short end of each fillet.
- Roll up chicken fillet to enclose filling and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat oil in a heavy based pan and gently cook chicken until almost done and lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Melt butter in microwave.
- Lay a sheet of filo on your workbench and brush with melted butter, cover with another sheet, brush with melted butter and cover with the third sheet.
- Repeat with remaining three sheets.
- Remove toothpicks from chicken rolls (make sure you get them all!), and position each chicken roll in one corner of the layered filo sheets.
- Spread each chicken roll with remaining dijon mustard, then sprinkle with remaining garlic and cheese mixture.
- Roll up firmly, tucking the ends in as you go.
- Brush with remaining melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds, parsley and a little paprika.
- Place chicken on a non-stick oven tray seam side down, and bake in a moderate oven approximately 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and pastry is golden brown.
- This is excellent served with steamed asparagus, honeyed carrots, baby
squash and new potatoes. I hope you enjoy my little creation!