Cajun Chicken-n-Sausage Jambalaya
- Award winning recipe from Gonzales, LA - Jambalaya capital of the world!
- D. Lishus
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 lb (.5 kg). boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 lb (.5 kg). smoked pure pork sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) green onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 can stewed whole tomatoes
- 2 cups (475 ml) rice, raw
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). butter
- salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and hot sauce for seasoning
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Heat butter in a large pot over med-high heat and brown chicken quickly over high heat to seal in juices, but not cooking through - about 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside; add garlic, onion and bell pepper to pot.
- Add tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add reserved chicken and sausage and cook until chicken is tender and cooked through, over low heat.
- Add raw rice and green onions; stir ingredients well.
- Add enough hot water to cover everything, about 1 inch over.
- Bring to boil and cover and simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes, or until rice is nice and tender.
- Season more and add hot sauce to your desire.
- Enjoy with friends, family and music.
- The aroma and flavors will attract people from all ends of the world - a wonderful dish for everyone.