Fried Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
- Gourmet French grilled cheese sandwich with tomato, herbs and different cheeses.
- D. Lishus
- 2 slices thick and crusty sourdough french bread
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- tomato slices
- cream cheese
- dried basil
- garlic powder
- Begin by very lightly toasting the bread and butter them on one side each.
- On one slice, spread a thick layer of cream cheese on the unbuttered side.
- On the other slice, spread a layer of mayonnaise on the other unbuttered side.
- Put a slice of Swiss cheese on the cream cheese and a slice of provolone on the mayonnaise.
- Put some tomato on one of the sides and season both with a bit of dried basil and garlic powder.
- Put the two pieces together, tomato and cheese in the middle, pressing down gently to hold together.
- In a shallow bowl, have the beaten egg and put the sandwich in the egg.
- Let soak a few seconds and turn over to soak the other side.
- Heat some butter in a frying pan until hot and fry the sandwich until nice and golden brown on both sides and cheeses are melted in the middle.
- Serve immediately and eat with knife and fork.
- I suggest doubleing the recipe and making a couple, especially if there is anyone around - it will dissappear instantly.
Warning: Highly addictive!