Coq Au Vin-Chicken Wine Stew
- Delectable entree made with red wine and mushrooms and a hint of smoky bacon.
- D. Lishus
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 3 lb (1.4 kg). chicken, cut up - or equal amount of chicken pieces
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- salt and pepper
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (225 ml) red wine
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 ml) parsley, minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fresh minced basil or 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried basil
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 (1 lb) can white onions, drained
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brandy
- Coat chicken pieces, onion and carrot with the flour and season well with salt and pepper.
- Fry the bacon in a 4 or 6 quarts (5675 ml) pressure cooker until crisp and set aside, keeping the drippings.
- Saute mushrooms in drippings and set aside.
- Brown the chicken a few pieces at a time and set aside (add more oil if necessary).
- Brown the onions and carrots in (add oil if too dry) and add the reserved chicken to onions and carrots in pressure cooker.
- Combine wine, parsley, basil, bay leaf and garlic; pour over chicken.
- Close pressure cooker cover securely.
- Place pressure regulator on vent pipe.
- Cook for 8 minutes on 15 pound pressure, with regulator rocking slowly.
- Cool pressure cooker at once.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to a warm dish, reserving liquid in pot.
- Add mushrooms and canned onions to reserved liquid in pot and simmer until heated through; thicken if necessary, with flour or cornstarch or any thickener.
- Add brandy and bacon and heat through, stirring all together.
- Pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Serve with parslied potatoes and green salad.
- A lovely French dish to make with a pressure cooker or on the stove. Perfect for entertaining friends and for dinner parties.