- Lighter on Calories and Fat
- The Sacramento Bee, February 16, 2000
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) finely chopped onion
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (12 oz (336 grm). each) evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) fat-free chicken stock
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) white pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Wordestershire sauce
- 1 drop tabasco sauce
- 2 cups (475 ml) reduced-fat sharp chedder cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan and add the onion.
- Cover and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes--do not brown.
- While the onion is cooking, combine the milk and chicken stock in another saucepan and bring to a boil (or pour the milk and stock into a nonmetal bowl and heat in a microwave oven).
- Remove onion mixture from the heat and add the boiling milk and stock all at once, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- Return the saucepan to the heat and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Add all the other ingredients and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is completely melted.
- Per serving, appproximately: 228 cal, 21g protien, 19 g carb, 8 g fat, 30 mg chol, 398 mg sodium.