- Preserving Peppers in Oil
- Vicky Bryant
Serves/Makes:3 or more half pints
- 2 pounds assorted peppers
- coarse salt
- 6 garlic cloves
- 6 sprigs fresh mint
- 12 peppercorns
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- olive oil to cover
- DAY ONE:
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the ribs and seeds.
- If using hot peppers wear gloves so you do not burn your hands.
- Dry the peppers on a clean towel, cut in strips.
- Place them in large bowl, sprinkle with coarse salt - let drain overnight.
- DAY TWO:
- Dry peppers again.
- Add garlic, mint, peppercorns and salt.
- Pack in hot sterilized jars.
- Cover completely with oil and seal immediately.
- Keep in cool place or process in a hot-water bath for 15 minutes.
- You can use mild, hot, or a variety of peppers in this recipe. Hope this helps.