- Vicky Bryant
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (225 ml) all-purpose flour
- 7 tbsp (100 ml) Hershey's Cocoa, divided
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter or margarine, melted
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- In bowl, stir together 3/4 cup (175 ml) granulated sugar, flour, 3 tbsp (45 ml) cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in milk, butter, and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into ungreased 8 or 9-inch square baking pan.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar, brown sugar and remaining 4 tbsp (60 ml) cocoa.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over batter.
- Pour hot water over top - DO NOT STIR.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Let stand 15 minutes; spoon into dessert dishes.
- Spoon sauce from bottom of pan over top
- Serve with whipped cream, or ice cream, or in a bowl with milk poured over it like we did as children
- I thought this was some long-lost recipe that I would never have again because my mother always made it. Then, the box-reader that I am, found it on a box of Hershey's Cocoa - LOL - I guess everyone's secret recipe.