Torta de Castanha-do-para
- Myra Waldo's Round-the-World Cookbook
- 10 egg yolks
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) powdered sugar
- 3 cups (700 ml) ground Brazil nuts
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) brandy
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) bread crumbs
- 10 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) heavy cream
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) coffee essence
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) confectioners' sugar
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until thick.
- Add the nuts, salt, brandy, and bread crumbs, mixing well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into the mixture.
- Butter a 10 inch spring-form pan and dust lightly with bread crumbs.
- Pour the batter into it.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the oven with the heat off and the door open for 5 minutes after it is finished baking.
- Cool for 2 hours.
- Remove from the form.
- Split the cake.
- Whip the cream and add the coffee essence and confectioners' sugar, mixing lightly.
- Spread some of the cream between the halves and place the rest on top.
- Some sliced or chopped Brazil nuts may be sprinkled on top if desired.