Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 whole chicken (or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- 3 cups (700 ml) water
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cumin
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) rice, uncooked
- 5 oz (140 grm). frozen corn (or 1 can Niblets or shoepeg)
- 1 to 2 cans chopped green chiles
- 4 to 5 fresh tomatoes, chopped (in winter, canned have worked fine)
- chopped green onion
- tortilla chips
- grated chedder cheese
- Place chicken, water, salt and pepper, onion and cumin in a 4 qt. pot and cook for one hour.
- Remove chicken from pot, saving broth.
- If using a whole chicken, debone and remove skin.
- Chop or dice chicken in bite-size pieces.
- Return chicken to pot and add rize, corn, green chiles and tomatoes.
- Let simmer until heated through and rice is cooked.
- Serve in soup bowls over tortilla chips and topped with grated chedder cheese and chopped green onions.
- For Christmas eve, we always invite friends over and have a soup buffet with Chicken Chile, Oyster Stew, and Minestrone--something for everyone!