- Full-bodied and flavorful cheese soup that gets its extra "kick" from the addition of beer
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 2 fat cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dry mustard
- dash white pepper
- 3 cups (700 ml) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) half-n-half
- 1 cup (225 ml) beer
- 1 lb (.5 kg). shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large soup pot or saucepan, melt butter over med-high heat.
- Whisk in flour, and whisk very well to create a smoothe consistency.
- Cook for 1 minute and stir constantly until smoothe and bubbly.
- Add the garlic, onion, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and white pepper; blend well.
- Gradually stir in the broth, beer and half-n-half, stirring constantly until thickened, over lowish heat.
- Blend in the shredded cheese, stirring constantly.
- Heat gently until all melted, but do not allow to boil; cook slowly and stir well.
- Serve immediately; season to taste, if desired.
- Serve with buttered rolls or home-made croutons.