- Bernard Schimmel's Masterpieces
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) melted butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml). lemon zest
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla
- powdered sugar
- Cream the sugar and eggs in a mixer until lemon colored and thick.
- Sift flour with salt and add to egg mixture.
- Add the butter, zest and vanilla.
- Butter and lightly flour Madeleine molds.
- Fill with batter and bake in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Verify color.
- Allow to cool and dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve these as an accompaniment to any fresh fruit or with a dessert that would be enhanced with a sweet.