Island Crab with Curried Almond Rice
- Crab in a creamy sauce served over a bed of delicious curried almond rice.
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) butter
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops Tabasco (hot pepper sauce), or more to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) flour
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) evaporated milk (can use regular)
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) half-n-half
- 2 packages immitation/frozen crab meat, or about 2 cups (475 ml) fresh (fresh is always better, but the mock crab meat holds wonderful flavor in this dish)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) blanched almonds
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) curry powder
- 3 cups (700 ml) hot cooked rice
- Melt butter in large saucepan over med-high heat.
- Saute onion and garlic in butter for few minutes or until a bit soft.
- Add tomatoes, worchestershire, tobasco, and seasonings, including the sugar.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in the flour, stirring to blend.
- Gradually whisk or stir in the milk and the half-n-half and simmer until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add crabmeat and simmer 10 minutes.
- In separate saucepan, melt remaining 3 tbsp (45 ml). butter and saute almonds with curry powder; saute until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and add the rice, mixing well.
- Serve sauce and crab over rice.