- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) half and half or milk
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Do not brown butter.
- Stir in flour with a wire whisk, if you have it, to make a smooth paste known as a roux.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly over low heat to thicken.
- Season to taste.
- A basic sauce used in cooking, for creaming vegetables or fish or as a base for other sauces. This is the recipe for a medium white sauce also referred to as Bechamel Sauce..
The butter and flour are always used in equal amounts but may be changed to 1 T. of each per cup for a thin white sauce, or 3 T. of each per cup for a thick white sauce.
This is the basic formula I have used since my own basic foods class in college.