- Simple and delicious salad that combines different spices and flavors with common ingredients.
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4" rounds
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) olive oil
- 2-1/4 tsp (10 ml) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
- Steam or cook carrots in salted boiling water until crisp tender, about eight minutes; drain well.
- In large heavy skillet, stir oil and seasonings until warm and aromatic, about a minute.
- Add carrots and then the water and vinegar.
- Simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, about five minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Cool and mix in cilantro.
- Serve at room temperature.