- Beefsteak strips baked in a burgundy sauce in the oven.
- Sawtooth Ranch
- 2-1/2 lbs (1.1 kg). boneless round tip steak or flank steak
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) seasoned salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) garlic powder
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 cup (225 ml) red Burgundy wine
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) beef broth (or more if needed)
- 1 4 oz (112 grm). can mushrooms
- potatoes (optional)
- carrots (optional)
- parsnips (optional)
- cooked rice or noodles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Cut the meat into 12 strips, 2 inches thick an 4 inches wide.
- Combine the flour with the seasonings and coat the meat with it.
- In a medium skillet, saute the meat in the butter.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the meat to a 3-quart casserole.
- Saute the onion in the skillet until soft but not browned adding additional butter if necessary.
- Add to the meat with the Burgundy and beef broth to cover.
- Bake covered 1 hour.
- Add the mushrooms and bake 20 minutes more or until the meat is tender.
- NOTE: Halfway through the cooking time, potatoes, carrots, and parsnips may be added, if desired.
- This recipe comes from the excellent cookbook,"The All Beef Cookbook", compiled and tested by the American National Cowbelles, Inc. 1973.
It may be served over cooked rice or noodles.