Serves/Makes:one 9-inch pie
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml). unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 (1-lb.) can sliced peaches
- 1-1/2 pints pistachio, or butter pecan ice cream, softened
- Few drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) frozen lemonade concentrate
- Baked 9-inch pastry shell
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) currant jelly
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped walnuts (optional)
- Mix gelatin and sugar.
- Add water to syrup from peaches to make it 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) liquid; mix with gelatin.
- Heat gently until gelatin is dissolved, stirring.
- Add softened ice cream by spoonfuls, stirring until melted.
- Add green food coloring and lemonade concentrate; mix.
- Chill in refrigerator about 15 minutes or until mixture is almost firm.
- Beat with electric mixer or rotary beater until fluffy and filling mounds slightly.
- Pour into cooled pastry shell; chill until firm.
- Heat currant jelly in a small saucepan until jelly is melted, stirring.
- Cool until it is partially thickened.
- Arrange drained peach slices on top of filling; brush the currant jelly over peaches.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts; chill.
- This pie would be great served on St. Patrick's Day or any other day of the year.