- Corned beef and vegetables ready when you come home for your St. Patrick's Day dinner.
- 1 3 lb (1.4 kg). corned beef (or more if you have a large size crockpot)
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-4" pieces
- 5 medium-sized russet potatoes, peeled and each cut into eight pieces
- 2 stalks celery, washed and cut into 3-4" pieces
- 1 head green cabbage (optional)
- Buy the corned beef appropriate for your size crockpot.
- Spray crockpot with vegetable spray (i.e. Pam).
- Trim excess fat from corned beef.
- Place corned beef in crock (I throw away they seasoning packet).
- Top corned beef with chopped vegetables.
- Cover with water.
- Cook on low setting or automatic if your crockpot has that setting.
- Cut cabbage into wedges and place on top of stew during last half hour of cooking or steam separately just until crisp tender.
- Serve in large flat bowls or rimmed plates so you you can have the broth with your potatoes.
- Easiest St. Patrick's Day dinner there is. Serve with Irish Soda Bread or just some nice bread or rolls and a green salad.
I dice the meat and vegetables that are leftover and return them to the broth for corned beef soup the next day.
No additional salt is usually needed.