Potato and Shitake Mushroom Gratin
- Perfect side dish for a special occasion; rich gratin of potatoes, wild mushrooms, cream and cheese. Delicious!
- d. lishus
- 1/2 cup(one stick) butter
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). button mushrooms, coursely chopped
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). fresh shitake mushrooms, coursely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) minced garlic
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups (475 ml) chicken broth
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg). Yukon Gold or russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/8" slices
- 2 cups (475 ml) fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (225 ml) grated Swiss cheese
- 2 cups (475 ml) half-n-half
- 2 cups (475 ml) whipping cream
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black pepper
- Melt butter in large pot over high heat.
- Add all mushrooms and saute until liquid is almost evaporated; about ten minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme and rosemary and saute one minute.
- Add chicken broth and simmer until liquid evaporates, stirring often, about eighteen minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper - cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Generously butter a 13X9X2" glass baking dish.
- Arrange one-third of potatoes in dish, overlapping slightly.
- Top with half of mushroom mixture.
- Combine the cheeses together; sprinkle one-third cheese over mushrooms.
- Repeat layering one-third potatoes, remaining mushrooms and one-third cheese.
- Arrange remaining potatoes atop cheese layer (you should have some cheese leftover for sprinkling at end).
- Whisk half-n-half, cream, salt and pepper; pour over potatoes.
- Cover loosely with foil and place in middle of oven with a baking sheet underneath to catch liquid that may bubble over.
- Bake for about one hour and fifteen minutes or unitl potatoes are tender and liquid thickens.
- Remove cover and sprinkle with more cheese and bake another fifteen minutes until cheese melts and gratin is golden at edges.
- Remove from oven and let stand ten minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!