- Wonderful breakfast/brunch casserole.
- Donna Ross
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). link sausage (i.e. sweet italian)
- 8 slices white bread
- 3/4 lb (.3 kg). grated chedder cheese
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) prepared mustard ("hot-dog mustard")
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vermouth
- Brown or parboil sausage and slice into small pieces.
- Remove crusts and cut bread into cubes.
- Spray 8 1/2 x 11 inch casserole with vegetable spray (i.e. Pam).
- Place bread in casserole.
- Cover with cheese and sausage.
- Mix together milk, eggs, and mustard.
- Pour egg mixture over bread.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Mix together soup and vermouth.
- Spoon over casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 1 hour.
- Parboiling sausage removes some of the fat content.
Turkey Italian sausage, reduced fat cheese, fat-free mushroom soup and non-fat milk may be substituted