- Layered stew of bacon, potatoes and onions - simple and wonderfully tasty.
- 2 cups (475 ml) sliced onion
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). sliced thick bacon
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). potatoes, peeled and sliced
- dry mustard powder
- black pepper
- bay leaf
- water or stock of choice
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Melt some butter in a large, heavy pot and put a layer of onions, a layer of bacon, and a layer of potatoes, putting in some extra butter in between each layer and seasoning each layer with a bit of salt, pepper and dry mustard.
- Continue layering and finish with layer of potatoes.
- Place a bay leaf on top and pour in enough cold water or stock to come just below the top layer of potatoes.
- Cover with lid, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer on low heat for about one and a half hours or until tender and cooked.
- Serve garnishing with parsley and boiled carrots.
- Careful not to oversalt as the bacon usually gives just the right and delicious flavor - a very good basic dish for everyone!