Beef Kefta-Kebabs with Tunisian Salad
- Wonderfully seasoned ground meat mixture, shaped into sausages and cooked on skewers - served with a Tunisian salad
- Ground Meat Kefta:
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). ground meat (use any kind - good quality)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated onion
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp (5 ml). dried mint, crumbled
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml). ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). Spanish paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). cayenne pepper
- Tunisian Chopped Vegetable Salad:
- 1 cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 hot pepper, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). crumbled Egyptian mint (can subtitute regular)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). mild vinegar
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). olive oil
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients, cover and let sit at room temp. for one hour.
- Soak 12 wooden skewers in water for an hour.
- While meat and skewers are "waiting", make salad:
- In seperate bowl, combine all salad ingredients, toss well to mix the flavors and oil and seasonings, and let marinate at room temp. until ready to serve.
- Preheat broiler or grill.
- Dip hands into water, and shape about a third cup of meat into sausage shape kefta and put two on each skewer.
- Grill or broil until cooked, a few minutes on each side.
- Serve hot with salad and flat bread.
- Excellent dish.