- An easy, elegant dessert that is always a crowd pleaser.
- 1 cup (225 ml) graham cracker crumbs (about 9 whole graham crackers)
- 1 cup (225 ml) flour
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) melted butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped walnuts
- 8 oz (224 grm). cream cheese
- 2 cups (475 ml) powdered sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) whipped cream (1 cup (225 ml) carton or 1 package Dream Whip, mixed according to package directions
- 1 21 oz (588 grm). can blueberry or cherry pie filling
- In food processor:
- Crumb graham crackers.
- Blend in flour.
- Pour in melted butter from top while mixing.
- Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Press into medium sized springform pan.
- Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees; cool.
- Mix dream whip if necessary.
- Blend whipped cream or dream whip with powdered sugar and cream cheese.
- Pour onto cooled crust (in pan).
- Top with pie filling.
- Chill in pan until served.
- Place entire pan on serving platter.
- Loosen torte from edges with knife blade and remove outer ring.
- Pie filling will flow down over edges of torte.
- (More so if not well chilled)
- Over the years I've come to appreciate less sweet desserts. I have modified this one to have 1 pint whipping cream instead of 1 cup and reduced the powdered sugar to 1 1/2 cups. I think it is much improved!
This is what I consider a "pantry dessert" since most of the ingredients (if you use Dream Whip) are pantry items and I always have plenty of cream cheese (and butter) in the refrigerator to use for desserts, hor d'oeuvres, etc.