Delicious Country Strada/Casserole
Serves/Makes:12 or more
- 1 lb (.5 kg). honey or maple smoked bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cups (475 ml) cooked honey or regular ham, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 cup (225 ml) cooked cubed potatoes or hash browns, thawed
- 3 cups (700 ml) shredded colby cheese (or 4 cups)
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups (700 ml) milk or half-n-half
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). worcestershire
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). dry mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Add ham and onion.
- Cook and stir until onion is tender.
- In a well greased 13x9x2 baking dish layer half the bread cubes, potatoes and cheese.
- Top with all the bacon mixture.
- Repeat layers of bread, potatoes and cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, milk and seasonings.
- Pour over all and cover.
- Chill overnight.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking.
- Uncover and bake at 325 degrees (175 C.) for about 70 minutes, or until egg is cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!