- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 cup (225 ml) powdered sugar, divided
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml). salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) scalded milk, cooled
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). fresh lemon juice
- Grated rind of 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). vanilla
- Beat egg yolk until thick and lemon colored; gradually add 3/4 cup (175 ml) powdered sugar while beating constantly; set aside.
- Mix remaining powdered sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually pour on milk.
- Cook on top of double boiler for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly until thick, and afterward occasionally.
- Combine with egg mixture, and add lemon juice, rind, vanilla and stiffly beaten egg white.
- Cook sauce until hot, serve immediatly.
- This is a very old recipe from 1923.