- A lower fat version of the recipe that is served in restaurants but just as tasty!
- Cooking Light Five Star Recipes, Oxmoor House, 1996
Serves/Makes:4 (1 cup) servings
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) margarine
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) skim (non-fat) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) light process cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 cups (950 ml) hot cooked fettuccine (cooked without salt or fat)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- freshly ground pepper
- Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic, and saute 1 minute.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add skim milk, stirring with a wire whisk until mixture is blended.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 8 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in cream cheese; cook 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup (225 ml) Parmesan sheese, stirring constantly until Parmesan cheese melts.
- Pour sauce over hot cooked fettucine, and toss well to coat.
- Top fettucine with remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, and pepper.
- A great cookbook--the best of the first ten years of Cooking Light Magazine!