Almost Amish Friendship Bread
- 2-3/4 cups (650 ml) skim milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) low-fat buttermilk
- 4-3/4 cups (1125 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) whole wheat flour
- 3 cups (700 ml) plus 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) canola oil
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml) baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- 2 cups (475 ml) hazlenuts, chopped coarse
- 2 cups (475 ml) dried cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- In a large non reactive bowl, mix 3/4 cup (175 ml) of the skim milk, the buttermilk, 3/4 cup (175 ml) of the flour, the whole wheat flour, 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar, and the yeast.
- Set aside for ten minutes or until the mixture starts to bubble.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the remaining ingredients, except for the hazlenuts and cherries and mix well.
- Fold in the nuts and cherries.
- Lightly wipe four 10x5x2 inch loaf pans with vegetable oil, divide the dough among the pans and bake for one hour of until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- I found this on the web. I havent tried it yet. It does not use a ever growing starter so it might be what you are looking for. I hope it works out for you.