- mhb from nj
Serves/Makes:7 half pint jars
- 2 quarts (1900 ml) fresh strwberries
- 7 cups (1650 ml) sugar
- 1/2 of a 6 ounce bottle liquid fruit pectin
- Wash berries.
- Slice in half lengthwise or quarter large berries.
- Measure 4 cups (950 ml) into large saucepan.
- Add 1 cup (225 ml) sugar; mix carefully.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Add remaining sugar; mix well.
- Bring to full rolling boil.
- Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in pectin.
- Stir and skim alternately 5 minutes to prevent floating fruit.
- Ladle the jam into hot, scalded jars.
- Seal at once and process in hot water bath if not refrigerating for immediate use.
- Could be doubled easily; use twice as many half pint jars, or try pint jars.
adapted from BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS ENCYCLOPEDIA of COOKING