- Linda in IL
- 1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 8 large leeks (white parts only)
- 4 c or more unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 4 c half-and-half
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg) Brie, well chilled cut in Small cubes without rinds
- 2 T snipped fresh chives
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- Melt 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add leeks and cook until translucent, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 25 minutes.
- Puree mixture in batches in blender.
- Melt remaining 1/4 c butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir 2 minutes.
- Blend in half and half, 1 cup (225 ml) at a time; whisk until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup (60 ml) cheese and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining cheeese, 1/4 cup (60 ml) at a time; blend until smooth and melted.
- Mix in leek puree.
- Thin with more stock if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with freshly ground pepper and chives.