Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Valle L. Smith
- 1 whole chicken
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cans Cream of Chicken or Mushroom Soup
- 1 or 2 cans Ro-tel Tomatoes w/Chilis, drained
- 2 cups (475 ml) cheddar cheese, grated
- sour cream (optional)
- Boil the chicken until completely done, let cool, remove from bone, and shred or dice into bite sized pieces.
- Warm the tortillas (just to make flexible) by placing in a skillet with a small amount of oil.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with Pam and line with the warmed tortillas.
- Place the chicken on top of the tortillas.
- Put the soup (I use one of each kind) and Ro-tel Tomatoes in a blender and mix.
- Pour the soup mixture over the chicken and top with cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven for approximately 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and the soup bubbles around the edges.
- You may use 4 to 5 chicken breasts instead of the whole chicken. I hope this is similar to the recipe you are looking for. You may want to vary the amount of Ro-tel you use, especially if you have children - 2 cans may be too spicy.
I usually serve with spanish rice and beans. We also top with sour cream (on the plate, not in the pan).