- Fried Rice with various meats
- 2 cups (475 ml) rice
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken broth or water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) grated ginger
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) shredded cabbage
- 6 large shrimp. peeled, deveined and quartered
- 1 cup (225 ml) diced chicken, pork, ham or lamb
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) curry powder
- salt, to taste
- Cook rice in broth or water until slightly underdone.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Saute onion until soft, stirring.
- Add celery ginger, garlic, curry, sweet soy sauce and Tabasco; saute 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage and bell pepper and saute 3 minutes longer.
- Add shrimp and 1 cup (225 ml) of meat and saute 3 minutes longer.
- Add rice and saute until rice is a light brown.
- As you can see, this recipe can be made using almost any meat and
you can omit the shrimp if desired. If you cannot find sweet soy
sauce, substitute regular soy sauce and add 1/2 tsp sugar or honey.