- mhb from nj
Serves/Makes:6 or more servings
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 2 inches of stick cinnamon
- 6 (or more) small fresh peaches, peeled
- In medium saucepan, combine sugar, water and cinnamon; bring to a boil.
- Boil rapidly for 5 minutes.
- Add a few whole peaches at a time and cook 5 to 10 minutes, or till peaches can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove fruit from syrup and put in a bowl.
- Continue till all peaches have been cooked in the syrup.
- Boil remaining syrup till thickened, or till a candy thermometer registers 222 degrees (100 C.).
- Cool syrup to room temperature.
- Measure syrup; add 1/3 cup (80 ml) brandy for each cup of syrup.
- Stir well; pour over peaches in bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate brandied peaches till ready to use.
- Found in BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS ENCYCLOPEDIA of COOKING.
This recipe appears not to have a starter, because you really can't reuse the end product syrup.