Chokecherry Jelly or Syrup
- A sweet-tart wonderful jelly if you access to chokecherries!
- Styren Ranch Guest House, Choteau, Montana
Serves/Makes:6 or more cups
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) chokecherry juice (takes more fruit)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) lemon juice
- 1 package pectin
- 6 cups (1425 ml) sugar
- Wash fruit and cover with water; simmer 15 minutes.
- Strain juice.
- Measure juice into a 6 to 8 quarts (7575 ml) kettle.
- Add pectin and stir.
- Bring to a boil, add sugar, stir, and bring to a rolling boil.
- Boil exactly 2 minutes.
- Skim and pour into jars.
- For Syrup: use twice as much juice to 1 package pectin.
Editor's note: Some references say the less water you use the more flavor the jelly will have. Slightly crush the fruit before cooking to maximize the juice from it.
Be sure to process jars and lids in a hot water bath if you are planning to store the jelly for future use.