- Eileen Hutton
Serves/Makes:2 dozen or more
- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- 1 cup (225 ml) lukewarm water
- 2-1/4 cups (525 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml). salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) mixed currants and raisins
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- oil for deep frying
- powdered sugar
- Sprinkle the yeast over 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk and stir to dissolve.
- Combine the flour and salt and add the remaining milk and the egg.
- Add the yeast mixture, currants, raisins and apple, and mix well.
- Let stand in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- Shape balls of the batter with 2 metal spoons and drop them into the hot fat, a few at a time.
- Deep fry for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve them piled on a dish and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Being of Dutch descent, I have cookbooks with several versions of olliebollen. The one I have chosen was given by a woman who was born and raised in the Netherlands.